Tuesday, April 20, 2010

How time flies!

Two years ago today I set out on a transport which changed my life. I had no idea when I signed up for it that it would, but I should have known. I'm not so sure I believe in the concept of "fate" but if it exists, then it was certainly fate that I went on this transport.

I had been signed up for two transports for April 20, 2008. The first one got switched to the day before and due to a gig, I was unable to do it. Someone else took my spot and the transport went on without me. The second one was one of those cases that always makes me a little peeved. Someone had asked me to do a leg of a transport, I wrote back and said I could do it, and then never heard back. When I finally wrote, it turned out they had someone else for the leg but hadn't bothered to write and let me know (most unfair since letting me know frees me up to transport another dog!).

With those two transports lined up, I wasn't able to transport the BBD someone contacted me about. When they fell through, I wrote to the person to see if they still needed me for the leg. They did. I ended up saving someone from driving over 160 miles each way to help this dog. Good all around!

At this time, David and I were getting ready to move and were setting up to welcome a dog into our home. I had been looking through petfinder, found myself drawn to several dogs, and was keeping an eye on many different dogs so we could start pursuing one when we got into our new apartment. But then I arrived in Rochester, the person I was meeting opened the back of her SVU, and there sat this beautiful black dog (who was more "medium" than "big") who leaned forward and licked my cheek.

And I guess it was all over at that moment. I knew I had met the dog we were looking for. As luck (or unluck) would have it, my cell phone was essentially dead. I was unable to call David to tell him to meet me there to check her out. So I spent time with her alone and decided we had to have her.

Luckily for me (and Miss Dahlia!), David was most amenable to it. He trusted me to find the right dog. We immediately put in an application to adopt her and a month later we brought her home.

So while this is not her "gotcha" day, it's still an important day in all our lives! Happy "first meeting day" Dahlia!

Here's Dahlia and I on the transport two years ago.

And here we are just a couple weeks ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment